The third instalment in the SSS Blog How To series involves a punch bag and a pair of boxing gloves, for a round of boxing at 1SIX8 Jumeirah with PUNCH class instructor Karina Bensemann. Our student, Amanda Rushforth joined us in the studio for a boxing training class, learning how to improve her technique, and how to incorporate boxing into a whole workout. It’s not just about hitting the punch bag; there’s a whole lot of skill and precision that goes into boxing, and there’s a lot more cardio involved than you may think! Boxing fitness classes have become really popular in the region, and the mixture of discipline, skill and cardio make for a really great workout.
Check out the session in the How To video below and see how you too can box your way to fitness.
Here’s a little recap of what you need to know if you’re interested in boxing fitness classes:
1. Dominant hand: Work out which hand you lead with as this will determine your stance throughout the session.
2. Long range: Work out your range for long range punches, so you know how far to position yourself from the bag.
3. Short range: This will place you closer to your opponent (or the bag) for a shorter range punch.
4. Body positioning: Keep the elbows in close and turn the body as you punch to provide more power into the punch.
5. Upper cut: Dip with the hip and drive the hand upwards.
6. Core stability: Engaging your core muscles is essential for more stability and control as you punch.
7. Put it into practice: Create a combo, or practice sparring with your partner to put it all into practice.
Here’s what to wear – all available at Sun & Sand Sports online: sssports.com
Now that you’ve got all the tips to Box Fit, it’s time to put it into practice and find yourself some boxing fitness classes – or head to 1SIX8 for some training with Karina herself! Don’t forget to sign up to the Sun & Sand Sports newsletters for all the latest updates and sports stories, both locally and internationally.