Today we’re kicking off the SSS Blog ‘How To’ series with the first instalment – How To: Surf. The concept behind the series is to focus on a key sport and learn the basics in a simple format, to get you set up with the tips and techniques to get you started. The rest is up to you – practice makes perfect! Or, something close to that.
We hit Sunset Beach nice and early to get started. Amanda Rushforth joined us for a surf lesson with Sjaak from Surf House Dubai and he took us through a basic surf lesson, from getting onto the board, to carrying it into the water, and popping up on the board. The lesson went a little bit like this:
Here’s a little recap of what you need to know:
1. Placement on the board: Place your hands on the side of the board, and ensure that your lower ribs are level with your hands.
2. Paddle technique: Make sure your feet are on the back of the tail and paddle with alternate arms to propel yourself forwards through the water.
3. Pop up: To pop up, place your hands along the sides, in line with your lower ribs and jump up with an explosive pop, landing with two feet on the board.
4. Eye gaze: Always look forward in the direction that you want to go.
5. Waxing the board: Take your block of wax and apply some pressure as you rub it onto the surface, making sure to cover the whole surface of the board.
6. The leash: Make sure to tie your leash to your back foot after learning what your natural stance is on the board.
7. Carrying the board: Carry from the centre, or some boards will have a handle to make them easier to carry. Always carry with the nose pointing forwards.
8. Have fun!
Now that you’ve got the basics covered, you’re going to need some awesome surf gear to get you started. This is what Amanda and Sjaak were wearing for their surf session – check out the surf and swimwear brands that we have available at Sun & Sand Sports online.
You can follow the SSS Blog ‘How To’ series right here on the SSS Blog, where we will be covering all sorts of sports over the next few weeks. Sign up to the SSS newsletter for all the latest updates straight to your inbox.